Enjoy a cold day by warming up with a simmering bowl of delicious borscht soup made with fresh beets, onions, cabbage, dill, and Karoun’s Canadian Style Sour Cream or cool down on a warm day by adding extra sour cream and serve chilled.
- 3 pounds beets, tops removed
- 3 medium onions, halved lengthwise (about 1 pound)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 cups water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cup finely shredded green cabbage
- 1/2 cup Karoun Canadian Style Sour Cream
1. Cut off all but 1 inch of beet stems and roots; wash. Do not peel.
2. In a 6 to 8 quart Dutch oven combine beets, onions, and salt. Add water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Cool slightly. Slip skins off beets; discard. Cut beets into large pieces.
3. Stir in sugar, lemon juice and shredded cabbage. Return to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Cover and chill, if desired.
4. To serve, ladle soup into bowls and top with a dollop of Karoun’s Canadian Style Sour Cream. Garnish with chives.
Products related to this recipe