top of content
President Date Maamoul
• Semolina - 2 cups (1 cup fine semolina + 1 cup coarse semolina)
• Sugar - 1 tbsp
• President Unsalted Butter, melted - 125g
• Dates, deseeded - 500g
• Mahlab powder - ½ tsp
• Milk powder - 1 tbsp
• Yeast - ½ tsp
• Rose water - 1 tbsp
• Icing sugar, for garnishing
- In a large bowl, mix the coarse semolina with fine semolina and sugar.
- Pour the melted President Unsalted Butter over the semolina mixture. Stir the mixture thoroughly until the butter is absorbed completely.
- Cover the bowl and let the dough rest for 6-7 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Add the mahlab and milk powder. Dissolve the yeast in one tablespoon of warm water and then add it to the dough.
- Knead the dough well. Add the rose water gradually, kneading the dough continuously until it is not sticky.
- For the filling, crush and press the dates well with your hands until it forms a paste. Roll the date paste into small balls and set aside.
- Take a small piece of dough and make a hole in the center for the filling. Put a date ball inside and close the dough into a ball.
- Press it gently inside the wooden maamoul mould so that it takes the shape of the mould. Flip the mould and tap it to release the maamoul piece.
- Grease a large oven tray with President Unsalted Butter.
- Place the maamoul pieces in the tray. Bake them in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until golden. Remove from the oven and let them cool.
- Sprinkle icing sugar on top.
• Tsp = Teaspoon and Tbsp = Tablespoon
• 1 cup = 240 ml or 240 g (approx.)