top of content
Have a Recipe?
Palak Paneer Grilled Cheese
- 8 oz. Gopi Paneer cheese, cut into 1″ cubes
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach leaves, cleaned
- 2 Tbs. oil
- 2 green chilis, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, finely minced
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. ginger paste (or freshly grated ginger)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic paste (or freshly grated garlic)
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 10 whole cashews
- 3/4 tsp. garam masala
- 1/2 tsp. fenugreek
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- pinch cumin seeds, toasted
- green cardamom pods, toasted, pods removed and then crushed
- 4 Tbs. butter or Gopi Ghee, room temperature
- large pieces naan bread
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil.
- Blanch the spinach for 2-3 minutes, until wilted.
- While still bright green, drain in a large colander, topping with ice to retain the green color, and removing all the moisture.
- Melt 1 Tbs. oil in the boiling pot. Sauté the chilis, onion, and salt until soft. Add the cashews and cook until soft.
- Add the tomatoes, ginger, garlic, garam masala, fenugreek, and drained spinach. Remove from heat and cover, cooking 3-5 minutes, until all flavors are combined.
- Transfer to a food processor or using a stand mixer, pulse until mostly pureed, leaving just a touch of texture to remain.
- Meanwhile, toast the cumin and cardamom. Once dry toasted, add to the pot, along with the remaining oil and cream. Stir thoroughly, to combine all ingredients.
- Add the paneer and allow the mixture to sit and “simmer” off heat, but on the warm stove, for 10-15 minutes, as the flavors merge and evolve.
- Meanwhile, slater the 2 slices of naan with 2-4 Tbs. butter or ghee (room temperature) on all sides.
- In a large, hot skillet, place one piece of buttered naan flat. Top with 1 cup of the prepared Palak Paneer (and any additional slices of paneer for extra cheesiness).
- Layer with the second slice of buttered naan.
- Season with additional salt, if desired.
- Cover with foil and press the sandwich flat with an additional heavy pot.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes, until the butter caramelizes and begins to smell sweet.
- Flip the sandwich and repeat the weighted process and timing.
- Remove from heat and allow the sandwich to rest for 3-5 minutes.
- Slice and serve, topped with additional Palak Paneer.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro, if desired.
Products related to this recipe